Society of Biological Psychiatry
70th Annual Scientific Convention & Meeting
May 14-16, 2015 (Before APA Meeting)
TRAVEL SCHOLARSHIPS - DOMESTIC
The training of a new generation of psychiatric academicians is a major objective of the Society of Biological Psychiatry. Participation in professional meetings, where new information is exchanged and contacts are made, can have a critical impact on the career of a developing clinician-scientist. In recognition of the importance of academic exchange, the Society of Biological Psychiatry (SOBP) annually selects distinguished junior scientists from US institutions to be a part of our Travel Fellowship Award program. These awards are supported by the Society of Biological Psychiatry and Elsevier, publisher of the Society's journal, Biological Psychiatry.
Each travel fellowship award includes:
- $2,000 to help defray your travel and living cost to attend the 2015 annual meeting
- Programming designed for junior investigators offered in addition to education at annual meeting
- Waived registration fee for attendance at the 2015 meeting
- Waived registration fee for attendance at the 2016 and 2017 annual meetings (no financial award)
- An SOBP member assigned to the Scholar for individualized mentorship during the meeting
- The opportunity to present a poster or oral abstract at the meeting (without requirement for SOBP member sponsorship)
- Recognition at events during the meeting that present and honor all SOBP travel award recipients
- Each University Department or NIH Institute in the United States, Canada or Mexico may nominate up to three applicants
- Applicant may be pre-doctoral or post-doctoral, and must be no more than 10 years out from terminal degree (bachelors, masters, MD or PhD) at time of application
- Applicants should not have received NIH or other grant funding at the R level or above. K-awardees are eligible
- Any full-time students or academic faculty who have achieved a rank of "Assistant Professor" or higher are not eligible to apply
- Publications are not required
- Past SOBP domestic or international travel awardees may not apply again
- Past awardees of a “SOBP Chair’s Choice Award” or “SOBP Medical Student Scholars Award” are eligible to apply
- Travel awardees are expected to attend the entire meeting, to be present for the recognition events, to submit an abstract for a poster or oral presentation, and to participate in the mentor/mentee program for junior investigators
- A letter of nomination by the Department or Program Chair is required.
- In addition, applicants should submit a current curriculum vita and a one-page statement of career interests and objectives.
- Applicants should indicate and list if they are supported by other grants or sponsorship for travel.
- The successful recipient will be limited to one award during his/her training.
- The award will be presented by the President of the Society at the 70th Annual Meeting in Toronto on May 15, 2015.
- Applicants chosen for an award must confirm that will attend the meeting within 1 week of notification of selection.
- All applications must be submitted on-line. Deadline to submit online is on or before October 1, 2014.
Society of Biological Psychiatry